Please merge with System.Spatial.Projections.dll

May 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Hi there. This is just a quick note to let you know that we have been working in Parallel! We've done a full port of Proj4 to .NET. Please take a look. We should really merge our efforts.

the dotSpatial project is intended as a shared community of communities of low level .NET open source libraries. 

http://dotspatial.codeplex.com

The first one in there is our contribution of System.Spatial.Projections.dll

Please tell me if you are interested in collaborating to make a single code base.

THANKS! 

- Dan

Coordinator
May 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Hello Dan,

thanks for the invitation. Let me explain why I started a port of Proj4J at all:

I'm developer on SharpMap, NetTopologySuite and GeoAPI.Net.
SharpMap uses Proj.Net for projection purposes but its projection support stalls for quite some time now and I've had issues with it, too. The latest release even removed dependency on GeoApi.

I was looking for a replacement that could be done with a (minimal) effort, and did not know there was one going to be a port of Proj4 released soon.

My main requirement for the projection library is reliance on some common set of interfaces (e.g. GeoAPI.Net) so it can be used for SharpMap, NHibernate and NetTopologySuite. In my point of view, interfaces are the way to interoperability. If that can be achived with System.Spatial.Projections.dll, you can count on me. I think -I'm just a developer ;-)- GeoAPI.Net is not axiomatic, perhaps you are interested in collaborating, too? In germany, this word has a smack, I like "get involved" better.

cheers

FObermaier

May 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM
Thanks for the response! I totally agree that we need to be working with interfaces. Interfaces result in extensibility and modularity so it is indeed the way to go. We started this System.Spatial.xxx namespace idea because our existing name for all of our tools, "MapWindow GIS" is also not "axiomatic". Indeed, we've had a pretty good set of programming tools for some time now as part of the MapWindow project, but people tended to think of "MapWindow" as a desktop application, not as core programming tools. So I've been working with our team to define a strong set of interfaces for an IMap, ILayer, IFeatureSet, etc. and to develop a new set of open source libraries based on this. We've done ports and improvements on Proj4 (now system.spatial.projections) and NTS (which will be System.Spatial.Topology) and have various others in mind and underway. The goal is to create the "definitive" set of open source .NET framework programming tools... Bottom line... would you like to work together? Would you be willing to look at our System.Spatial.Projections Proj4 port? (We added you as a contributor on the dotspatial.codeplex.com project). - Dan
Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Hello Dan, Ted,

Atm I'm investigating your System.Spatial.Projections library in creating a wrapper for GeoAPI.
Is there a TestSuite for the project? Maybe it would be nice to have a clone/port of the MetaCRS.
I could port that from Proj4Net.

Regarding NetTopologySuite / System.Spatial.Topology: there is an (almost) working port of jts v1.11
on http://code.google.com/p/nettopologysuite (branches v2.11), which relies on GeoAPI.

cheers

FObermaier

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM
What do you see as the main things that MetaCRS brings to the table? I just read through their wiki page and don't feel like I "get it"... seems like an overarching project that covers several other ones... right?
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Yes, it is. So far, the only thing -to me- that has come up is the standardized MetaCRS testfile. The one in the repository is not very large (it is one), but in the Proj4J project there are several other files with quite a few tests.